Well I thought this would be easy, just open the cupboard and select the all time favourites and list them, but then it poses the question why does one like certain music? What influences choice etc. etc?
There is no short answer as dependant on my mood I can listen to anything from classics to hard rock and world music. Given that I suppose that is also how I would pack my music when starting a trip, but then the destination and duration has some bearing, a short trip to Clarens may require about 10 CD’s whilst a long trip may require as many as 30.So to kick off in no particular order- yes I do not really have a # 1 CD as that would be disrespectful;
- Green Day “21st Century Breakdown” Just for the great sound!
- Carlos Santana “Ultimate Santana” Feature some of rocks great with one of the first rock stars I ever listened to.
- Rolling Stones “ Shine a Light “Old classics but with great acts such as Buddy Guy, Jack Black and Christina Aguilera
- Midnight Oil “Diesel and Dust” Great sound from Oz-listen loud!
- Kansas “ Best Of” Love the sound and the memories of national service!
- Sting “ Brand New Day “Great disc with the beautiful “Desert Rose” sung with the Algerian praise singer Cheb Mami!
- Amy Winehouse “Back to Black” Need I say anything?
- Sarah Brightman “ Classics” Every now and again one needs to slow the pace down.
- Crosby Stills Nash and Young “ So Far” Schoolboy stuff takes me back to Woodstock-classic!
- Boston “ Don’t Look Back” Still a very clean crisp sound and worth taking along.
- John Fogerty “ Wrote A Song For Everyone” Great songs from CCR days with brilliant supporting acts!
- Black Sabbath “Reunion” Need I say anything, at school we grew up on this!
- Jethro Tull “ The Essential “And this!
- Nazareth “ Best Of “And this as well as a few more that will feature in the next compilation!
However when in the bush please respect the rights of fellow campers as well as the animals, crank the volume up when driving on long open stretches, reduce it when in towns so that you can be aware of what is going on around you but enjoy the music! More to follow!
So let us know what your favourite road trip music is, and what influenced your choices. We’d love to hear from you!