These are old but worth repeating, I spent some time over December with various friends recounting incidents we had seen when out on the road or in the bush and in many cases the problems could so easily have been avoided.
• Always wear a seat belt other than when crossing water, secure loose items to avoid possible injuries.
• Do not attempt river crossings late in the day (around sunset).
• Adhere to speed limits and analyse road conditions then drive accordingly.
• Make camp before sunset and avoid travelling after dark.
• Be responsible and assess the obstacles that you are attempting (water depth, gradients and slopes, mud etc.), if unsure look for an alternative route!
• Ensure that you have attended a training course and have the correct equipment, this includes First Aid!
• Don’t travel alone and ensure that you know the location of local emergency clinics or medical centres.
• Have a Cross Country policy as it provides all the necessary cross border emergency cover ( including medical evacuation)