Hidden behind forlorn brick walls and giant steel gates is one of Joburg City’s greatest surprises: an entire district of historic, industrial warehouses. It is here that Hubert Davies opened mining warehouses in 1893. While most of the buildings on site date from the 1920s and 1940s, the centre part of the main shed is possibly the oldest industrial structure in all of Joburg City. Oregon pine posts and trusses suggest that this part was built before the South African War (Anglo Boer War).
There is much history and legend associated with the location. A liquor license was granted for the Ferreira’s Bar on this site in 1893 and for the Good Luck Bar in 1895. One can only speculate that Charles Glass himself peddled his original Castle Lager here.