We have compiled a few important pointers with regards cross border travel . It is always worth checking with the Automobile Association before departing as the rules may change from time to time.You will have to display the following stickers on your vehicle:
- White ‘reflective tape’ strips 100 x 50 must be applied to the front bumper, positioned to the left and right corners. (Zambia & Zimbabwe only)
- Red ‘reflective tape’ strips 100 x 50 must be applied to the rear bumper, positioned to the left and right corners. (Zambia & Zimbabwe only)
- A ‘ZA’ oval sticker right rear of the vehicle
- Apply a Yellow triangle on a blue background to the front of your vehicle. (Right front) If you are towing a trailer or caravan they will also need these stickers applied.Right hand rear of trailer or caravan. (Mozambique)
- A reflective white T on a black background. Right hand front of vehicle
- A reflective red T on a black background. Back of trailer or caravan- right hand rear.
- Your vehicle needs a fire extinguisher that is mounted within easy reach of the driver. Two if towing a trailer or caravan. The second one must be located in the trailer or caravan
- A minimumof two warning triangles per vehicle are required.
- When going into Mozambique, Zambia & Zimbabweyou need to have a reflective safety vest in the vehicle, if more than two people are in the vehicle at least 2 vests (A safe rule is one per person).
If at all possible avoid paying bribes as a situation could escalate which could see you or members of your group being detained.